Friday 8 May 2015

Nigerian immigrant who is HIV positive (Bisi Alimi) offers free hugs to the public

Nigerian gay activist Bisi Alimi a few days ago went to the town of Ramsgate and held up a sign that read “I’m an immigrant. Hug me or ask a question.”. He said he did it because he was angry at the anti-HIV comments of UKIP leader Nigel Farage and wanted to give a face to immigrants and fight the stigma of HIV. Read the heartwarming story below....
A Nigerian immigrant who is also HIV positive has taken to the streets in the constituency where Nigel Farage is running for election to encourage people not to vote for Ukip.
Bisi Alimi, a prominent gay rights activist, is offering free hugs to anyone who wants to listen to his message in South Thanet, Kent.
In recent days he has become a regular visitor to the town centre, attracting crowds of people by holding a sign which reads: "I'm an immigrant. Hug me or ask me a question?"

Commenting on an encounter with one sceptical passer-by, he wrote on Instagram: "He stood afar from me for a while, kept looking at me. He was there yesterday with his wife. Then the wife walked up to me and started engaging with me. She hugged me. Then the man came shook my hand and said, thank you for doing this. Then I said; "you know you want a hug' to which he answered yes I sure do want a hug" and then we hugged and told him like I did to others "Please don't vote UKIP" and he said "to hell I wont". I love #ThanetSouth."

Mr Alimi, who was granted protection asylum in the UK in 2008 and later completed a master's in politics at Birkbeck University, decided to attempt the stunt after being verbally abused by a Ukip supporter in the street last week. He has received scores of messages of support for his campaign on Twitter.

Diego Marcano wrote: "Hug campaign to favour migrants its absolutely brilliant. Thumbs up man! #WeCare."

No comments: