Friday 9 January 2015

I Can Die For Nigeria- Obasanjo Says

Former President Olusegun Obasanjo has said if at all he has to sacrifice his life for anything, it would be for Nigeria and not for a political party. Obasanjo made the statement today at his Hilltop private residence in Abeokuta while welcoming the Presidential Candidate of the National Conscience Party, NCP, Martins Onovo who came to pay him a courtesy visit at home.

“My first pre-occupation is what is best for Nigeria; Nigeria first, party second and any other thing third. Nigeria first means I will not sacrifice anything for the interest of Nigeria, but I can sacrifice my own life for the interest ofNigeria, I can’t sacrifice my life for the interest of a party, I will sacrifice my life for the interest of Nigeria,” he said.
Obasanjo also praised the founder of NCP, Late Gani Fawehinmi saying he did not only fight injustice but also checked the excesses of governments in power and therefore encouraged Martins to go in the footsteps of the party founder.

“In the interest of a better society there is always the need for some people to serve as watchdogs. Fawehinmi throughout his life devoted his intellect and energy to fight injustice, bad governance, corruption and other social vices.

“Let me pay tribute as I have done in my recent book‎ to the founder of your party, Gani Fawehinmi, I believe he was a genuine social critic though you may not agree with all that he said or how he went about them. But he was definitely a genuine social critic, so you (Martins) as the flag bearer of the party he founded, if you should follow his footsteps of integrity and genuine critical analysis and committed analysis and criticism of the situation in the country, I think nobody will fault you,” Mr. Obasanjo said.

No comments: